Many think when they hear the word learning, they have to be a genius with outstanding memory. And to be willing to bury their heads in the books.
But that is not the case; everyone can become an efficient learner. It all depends on wherever you know how to learn effectively and what strategies you need to use. So you get the benefits that learning has to offer.
Why learning something new will help you?
In your life, you´ve probably discovered many new interests, and perhaps you have regretted not pursuing some of them. Maybe you wish you started learning the guitar ten years ago when you had more time or mastering a new language when you were younger.
But what if you focus on missed opportunities simply to start working and learn the skill today?
Learning something new can have many benefits:
- You can grow as a person and gain new knowledge and improve yourself for the better.
- It gives you access to new and different opportunities, and you can create new amazing experiences that can influence your life forever.
- If you learn work-related skills, you can potentially earn more money and get much more out of your work life.
- Studying a new skill can impact your everyday situations because you can do things quicker and easier, which can save you time, energy, and stress.
- Your Brain chemistry called myelin changes, and so you can improve your performance on many tasks. The more you learn, the more growth of myelin it causes, which helps you to learn better.
- By acquiring new knowledge, you can learn things faster over time. It stimulates the neurons in your brain, which form new neural pathways. And it helps electrical impulses travel faster across them when they process the new information.
- Increasing your know-how reduces the changes drastically to develop dementia because the neural pathways are ready to receive new impulses.
- It can help you increase your physiological wellbeing, and you build up more confidence and self-efficacy.
- Learning is good for your creativity to make connections between seemingly unrelated things to develop new ideas.
- Using your knowledge can make yourself and others happier and increase your overall being, especially if it is a newly founded passion.
There you have it learning new skills is the best you can do, don´t stand still and settle with your situation at the moment.
How to learn effectively?
There are many Learning strategies you can use to master a skill. Like a learning tool called self-quizzing, you repeatedly recall and test yourself on what has been taught. So new ideas stick in your long-term memory. But the best is to focus on the following ten steps of learning to learn better and faster:
- Make sure the skills and knowledge you study are valuable and meaningful to you. It helps you much more to take the initiative and to keep going. However, meaning doesn´t appear out of anywhere; it takes time and hard work to find it. What you can do is write a paper on how the information you want to learn can benefit you and enhance your interest.
- Set larger goals you want to reach and break them into smaller goals where you can focus one at a time. It is also important to gain some background knowledge and basics before you begin to master a skill.
- No matter what you choose, you need to have the tools to pursue it. So make a list to purchase the thing you need.
- It is often the case that barriers and emotional roadblocks like fear or self-doubt can prevent you from getting started to acquire the desired craft. A good idea is to identify your fears to become familiar with them and work on them. This helps you to make the first steps. To get lesser distracted, create a peaceful environment, and use earplugs to block out external noise when you want to gain new knowledge.
- Ensure to free up time so you can dedicate around 60-90 minutes to work on your desired skill. Set yourself 20-minute time frames to know how long you´ve spent practicing and to motivate yourself to do your best in the period of time. You can aim for 20-minute blocks throughout the day to make quick progress.
- Focus on practicing a lot and quickly and not attaining perfection. Because when your priority is on quantity and speed, you are less likely to become irritated and demotivated due to the setbacks you encounter.
- You need to get feedback from someone else; it can help to know in what areas you can improve yourself. Try to decrease your error rate by monitoring and recording mistakes. It makes you aware of your performance when you are going wrong, so you´ll stop repeating mistakes.
- Constantly extend your know-how on a given topic to improve your understanding of the skill. Visualize how you get better and master the craft; this can benefit you to learn the concepts and facts you need.
- Understand the connections between different concepts. For example, when you want to master a new language, you need to learn both the grammar of the language and the meaning of the words. Vary how you practice by not only learning new words but also building a sentence in the new language.
- Review your knowledge to not overestimate yourself. So you don´t think you learned more than you really have, which makes you expect to perform well in the future. However, overconfidence can lead to mistakes on a regular basis.
Of course, it takes time and effort to learn a new skill. But with these ten learning strategies: value, target, tools, barriers, time, focus, feedback, extending, concepts, and review, you can become an expert in almost any field.
What can you learn?
When you know how you can learn, you have to think about what skill you want to gain. Do you want to improve your personal or professional development? Found a new hobby you want to study or learn a new language? Or maybe even something out of your comfort zone?
It’s up to you what new skill you want to master. But remember to use the ten learning strategies so you can have all the benefits when you gain new knowledge. There are a lot of different courses, ebooks, and classes online that help you to receive the know-how you seek.
Share in the comments section what you want to learn and what is your first step.